Saturday 26 November 2011

Hypoglycemia

Hypoglycemia is a condition I was diagnosed with back in Baltimore several years ago when I was dealing with Conn's. The doctor who told me I had it didn't fill me in on all of the symptoms, he just kind of lumped them all in with Conn's and told me to always eat regularly if I felt weak or like I was going to pass out. He never went over all the other triggers, which could have saved me from some dangerous situations.

Once again, this is where you have to do your own research. I wish I had, but was so consumed with the problems I was suffering with Conn's, that I couldn't tell what symptom was causing what. Most doctors I saw thought Conn's was the culprit that was robbing me of stamina and doing strange things to my head. Things got so tricky with feeling horrible that I never looked into the fact that hypoglycemia could have compounded the symptoms of Conn's. Conned again, it seems.

The definition of Hypoglycemia is insulin shock or Low blood sugar. Insulin is a hormone that reduces blood sugar. It is produced by the pancreas in response to increased glucose levels in the blood.

Blood sugar below 70 mg/dL is considered low. Blood sugar at or below this level can harm you. And I am lucky to be alive after having some really scary episodes of this.

The most common causes of low blood sugar in people without diabetes are:

Insulinoma - a tumor in the pancreas, produces too much insulin
Skipping meals
Waiting to eat your meals, or eating at off times
Exercising more or at a different time than usual
Drinking alcohol

Symptoms you may have when your blood sugar gets too low include:

Double vision or blurry vision
Fast or pounding heartbeat
Feeling cranky or acting aggressive
Feeling nervous
Headache
Hunger
Shaking or trembling
Sleeping trouble
Sweating
Tingling or numbness of the skin
Tiredness or weakness
Unclear thinking
http://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gif
Sometimes your blood sugar may be too low, even if you do not have symptoms. If your blood sugar gets too low, you may:
Faint
Have a seizure
Go into a coma

After finding a great doctor (Dr. Erica Elliott-she is fantastic) in Santa Fe, who has educated me, I am learning so much. But I had to go through some hellish situations before I found her. For years, I have had weird problems like: feeling like I'm going to pass out while driving, almost falling asleep sometimes when I've had plenty of sleep the night before, crashing big time after eating sugary foods, and feeling wasted after only a few sips of wine (a real killer at high altitude-- like where I moved to in Santa Fe). Rule of thumb-always eat while drinking. Always.

My mother's genetic counselor believes my maternal side has a genetic mutation of the endocrine system as we all have auto-immune diseases http://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gifincluding: diabetes, thyroid cancer, hyperaldosteronism (Conn's), Alopecia, Graves disease and Shingles. It's definitely curious.

Regarding my own endocrine disorders... hypoglycemia mixed with Conn's had me teetering in dangerous territory. After being educated by Dr. Elliott...everything has changed, including: my diet, I'm starting to learn so much more about my body, and fight or flight responses mechanism.

If you suffer from hypoglycemia as well as Conn's, I would be interested to hear from you. I know since my surgery, this condition has appeared more frequently, am unsure of the correlation with having only one adrenal gland. If only there was more research and data to help guide us through these often stormy hormonal seas. Living with one adrenal sometimes is effortless, but other times the stress can really level you.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting question. I've had hypoglycemia since childhood (I'm 46 now) but it got really bad around the time my (PA-related) hypertension first showed up. I used to black out at work after lunch... eventually I began testing my blood sugar and found it would dip down to around 50 at times about 40 minutes after eating.

My adrenalectomy was 10/13/2011 and my PA is considered cured. Prior to my adrenalectomy, I managed my hypoglycemia by eating really low carb - no sugars, no fruits, no grains (I'm also celiac and have lactose and fructose intolerance, so this was pretty easy) and eating small meals spaced no more than 4 or 5 hours apart. Even though I didn't have intolerances to them, I also avoided rice and potatoes as they triggered really severe hypoglycemia.

My doctors all believed that the aldosteronoma was triggering the hypoglycemia, but nobody knows for certain. Since the adrenalectomy, I've been experimenting with allowing rice and potatoes back into my diet, and I don't seem to be having any hypoglycemia problems. But I am limiting quantities to about a half-cup; I still think that for those of us with a history endocrine issues, limiting foods that can trigger blood sugar fluctuations is probably wise. No food is delicious enough that it's worth getting sick over.

More on my PA story can be found here: http://waywardbus.wordpress.com.

Anonymous said...

I have blood sugar control problems, high fasting blood sugars but then normal to lower blood sugar readings after meals. This has occured more frequently since the adrenalectomy 5 yrs ago but I also found I have had Lyme Disease for years which is throwing my entire system off.

Just had an episode of hypoglycemia today when out all morning shopping with my husband. Went past lunchtime, luckily carry a protein bar with me at all times exactly for this reason.

I strongly feel when one endocrine gland is off the entire body is messed up, I have had ovarian problems, infertility problems, now am hypothyroid and have problems controlling blood sugar levels.

As someone else said, have to limit simple carbs, no sugar, protein with every meal and ideally eat something about every three hours. Difficult to do

I do not think the endocrinologists will ever catch on to the subtle problems caused by the lack of one adrenal. It is all or nothing with them. Has to be complete adrenal failure for them to pay attention, and that is only if they catch it before you die from it.

drive medical said...

I got this when I got to work without taking my breakfast. I vomit and experienced bad headache but after I ate a banana I became well after.

Kelly Price-Colston said...

I was diagnosed wth Conn's after my gastric bypass. My rny surgeon noticed I was constant;y very ver low on potassium, and high blood pressure was one of the main reasons i had to get the weight off. but after two years post surgery, my anxiety and brain fog is horrible and blood pressure during stress still very high. [150s/90s, not uncommon] i also have very bad "dumping syndrome" and reactive hypoglycemia. i am 36 and suffer depression and OCD, so i take celexa. since we can't "find" any adrenal tumors, but the aldosterone is there, my endo believe i have perhaps bilaterl, but keeps me on 25 mg of spironalactone.

tonight it is so awful. even a tiny amount of caffeine has just crippled me. plus added in some sugar, not even that much, and i am dizzy and sick. it really sucks. :/

Anonymous said...

Thanks very interesting blog!

Anonymous said...

Perfect piece of work you have done, this site is really cool with
excellent information.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing excellent informations. Your web site is very cool.
I'm impressed by the details that you've on this web site.
It reveals how nicely you perceive this subject. Bookmarked this website page,
will come back for more articles. You, my friend, ROCK!
I found just the info I already searched all over the place and just couldn't come across.
What an ideal web site.