Monday 24 June 2013

June 2013-More post-Conn's Updates



It's been way too long since I last updated this important site. Please don't take my absence as a sign I have moved on after surgery and forgotten about all of you. I've merely been focusing on making a living, literally trying to survive in the high desert where the economy has seemingly vanished (which is Santa Fe, NM). I can honestly say it's often been a challenge living with one adrenal while dealing with the frustrations of work, lousy bosses and landlords. Thank goodness for spring.

I've recently discovered a site called Life Extension  that my scientist friend suggested. Under the adrenal section, I found some good supplements for taxed glands (gland). I now L-Carnitine  and ALA (alpha lipoic acid) which helps build up insulin resistance and is also good for the brain. I'm about to add DHEA which is also good for the adrenals. I have noticed positive effects since starting them a month ago; I have more stamina and am less confused-which is an after-effect not from Conn' s but from CO poisoning in my old rental unit (more on that below). I continue to take vitamins C, E, B (pretty self explanatory). But some new additions include Taurine-an anti-oxident that also helps protect against cardio vascular disease; Lysine-an amino acid for lowering my glucose; L-Theanine-to help curb anxiety and prevent Alzheimer's; Magnesium malate-for fatigue. I am also a big tea drinker and add a mixture of uva ursi and passion flower which helps with UTI's and calms me down.

Re: the CO poisoning-- last October '12- January '13, the wall heater in my house was found to have had a leak in it- determined by NM Gas company in early January. It had been ongoing for months, and I nearly lost my dog, cat, my boyfriend and my own life. The animals slept by the unit and were lethargic and had seemed sick since October. I had severe headaches, confusion and balance issues, followed by depression and exhaustion. My boyfriend had it acutely and was extremely ill. Convinced it was the flu, we found out it was deadly CO gas, 1000 ppm- a very high, lethal amount. We are grateful to all have made it through, though Eddie and I still struggle with lingering issues.If anyone reading this has had a similar situation, please email me (clangrall@gmail.com) .

We have all moved from the property and have begun the healing process, which will take along time according to doctors. After dealing with Conn's, this the second most awful health scare I've ever experienced.

As I navigate through this new health crisis, I am reminded of the lessons I learned when I had hyperaldosteronism.   Be patient, do research, talk to others who have dealt with your condition, be gentle with yourself, have HOPE, and know this too shall pass with the right treatment.

Perhaps it all is a lesson on how I need to take better care of myself. One thing I learned through this hell is that my remaining right adrenal gland sure is a strong one!

Well, that's about it for now. Remember: Stay strong, be your own patient advocate, know there hope for Conn's, don't give up--focus on becoming an ex-Conn like me and take the time to appreciate all that you have.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I just wanted to say how brilliant your blog is and how it's helped me a lot.

I began reading it after my dad was finally diagnosed with Conn's after years of not knowing what was wrong with him.

Reading your blog and other websites I realised I have a lot of the symptoms and went to my doctor to get tested.

Several tests later and I'm finally being referred to an endocrinologist and should know for definite in a month or so.

Thank you so much for such an informative and personal blog, it has helped me immensely.

I wish you all the best and hope you recover well from your CO as well.

Aly xxx

Anonymous said...

Good Morning:

Thank you for your wonderful website on hyperaldosteronism. You are doing a great job informing people. So happy you stress being your own advocate.

I have been treated for the disease for 6 years by an endocrinologist and doing well on BP med, 50 mg Spirinolactone & 400mg Magnesium daily.

However, lately I feel that I may be having hypoglycemic symptoms. Have you ever had a medical person tell you that the two diseases can be connected. I know your symptoms occurred after surgery.

I think I am calling my doc today. But, I don't want to blame everything on Conn's syndrome.
I think that becomes a dangerous habit when sufferers do that.

Been through all of it!

Information: My disease was diagnosed by 24 hour urine test by my general practioner.

Keep up your good work.

Blessings, j.l.

Flower Spy said...

J.L.

Thank you for your comment. Re: hypoglycemia, I was diagnosed with it BEFORE Conn's. However, after the adrenalectomy, I found it to be worse. I am now considered pre-diabetic by my gp. and have started a new eating/supplement regime. Is it related to Conn's? I don't know, but more than several people have contacted me on this site to discuss the same symptoms. In my opinion, which is not scientific mind you, the endocrine system is all connected- be it the liver, pancreas, kidneys or glands. This includes the reproductive system as hormones come from our adrenals. Many women with Conn's have experienced cycle issues- myself included. It will be great if this disease gets the attention it deserves so we can get more answers. Once that happens there will be more of an interest (and funding). But it may just take a very well known celebrity or media personality to out and talk about the weird little adrenal tumor they have. Sigh... such is the reality of our world.

C.A.L.

Anonymous said...

I had my right adrenal gland removed in December of 2006 after being treated for high blood pressure for eighteen years. I always knew it was something other than high blood pressure that was wrong with me. Finally my cardiologist gave me the renin test and sure enough Aldosteronism. I have been taking Maca and a high potency vitamin B for energy and anxiety. I also have to take 20mg of Reactine every night for itchiness. Have you ever heard of any other person being itchy after having their adrenal gland removed? It drives me crazy! So happy when I found this site.

Unknown said...

Wow I new here. Thankyou for this site. Can't find answers anywhere. Wish I'd found you sooner. I still so alone with this. My name Is Penny. Its been 9 months since my surgery to remove my right Adernal gland tumer. Thankyou for letting me know I not crazy here in dealing with my conns and its effects before my surgery and even still after.

Unknown said...

I try and highlight my journey to get here. I was undiagnosed for at least 4 years. First symtom I experienced was HP by accident after I got stitches in march of 2008.. Being stupid I blew it off.. I had no medical insurance. My mom got breast cancer in 2010.. While caring for here that year.. I just figured I was run down and depressed for feeling lousy all the time, headaches, tied couldn't sleep. After she passed the end of 2010 I than figured I was just grieving because I just kept getting worse in 2011. By the end of 2011. I finally went to a doctor. I was diagnosed with fibroids tumers large ones they weight 10 lbs. Also HB and low potassium. I was put on Meds to keep the BP,down. And the K up. I spent the first half of 2012 trying to keep my numbers in check, and how to afford a hysterectomy. Id gotten medical but it was a lousy plan. My aug of 2012. I ended up in the ER. My BP was 230 over 132. Omg.. You should have seen how fast they admitted that night. while there during that 5 night stay. While looking at my fibroids they discovered my right adernal gland tumer size 3. After IV potassium and lots of meds. They sent home. My docs decided my hysterectomy should be first. So In Sept. They took everything. My surgery lasted 10 hours. My BP and potassium were so bad they almost lost me than,and there. After I came home a week later. Now mid Sept my merry o round started. my docs could never get my BP down or my K up.so for the next three months I was at the hospital almost daily. And twice a week I was there for IV K. My potassium at its lowed was as .8.. Everyone in the hospital said I should be dead. Not once not twice but at least 20 times in 3 months. I had my Adernal gland removed on December 15 of 2012.,I am grateful. Thankful.