Sunday 16 November 2008

The First Endocrinologist

May 2008.

The reason for sharing this visit is to alert other Conn's sufferers that your symptoms may not be taken seriously at first. Unless you are rushed to a hospital for high blood pressure/heart palpitations or your blood work shows really low potassium levels, many doctors will dismiss your symptoms as common effects of age and stress. Even endocrinologists.

I was recommended to one of the best endocrinologists in town by my cardiologist. I got an appointment within a few days of her referral, which was pretty impressive. When I arrived I was seated in a small but nicely decorated waiting room. The doctor was middle eastern and had the prettiest hand-carved chairs I've ever seen. He (whose name shall not be revealed as I am fighting with the insurance company to not have to pay for his severely awful services), called me into his office and asked me why I came. I told him about the CT scan, the adrenal tumor they found and all about how lousy I was feeling. I also told him I was scared about my potassium levels being off and how alarmed my cardiologist was about that. He barely looked up at me. He asked me a few questions and then very rudely went on to answer no less than 7 phone calls on his blackberry and another cell. At one point I think he had the 2 phones going during my visit. He said he gives out his cell number to all his patients, that I could have it too. But I didn't want his cell number, I just wanted his diagnosis and help. He was making lunch plans with another Dr.and kept saying he'd see him in 10 minutes. Not a great first impression for a new patient.

After a rather speedy exam, I got dressed and met him back in his office where he continued to answer his ringing phones. I found it very hard to believe this was the same doctor my cardiologist praised. He was an unprofessional jerk. I felt judged when he asked if I was married, he kind of glared at me. I am divorced and fine with it but you know, some men just aren't. Towards the end of our appointment, I asked him how he felt about hormone replacement therapy. He said, and this is a quote, "That's the most intelligent question you have asked me today." My God. I got a slip for 3 weeks worth of intensive blood work and was told to stop taking spironolactone, a potassium sparing diuretic for hypertension.

That was my first visit with an endocrinologist and probably my worst visit with a doctor ever. I was left to wonder, is it always going to be like this?

After taking each test precisely the way he told me to, I waited for the results. And I waited, and waited...for two and half weeks. I finally called his office and his assistant said he was out of the country, plus she couldn't find the results but was sure he would call me Monday first thing. He never did. His assistant called me back sometime that week, seems she found my results and she said that my potassium levels were normal. The receptionist is now a doctor. My potassium levels were 3.4, normal is 3.5-5.5. That didn't seem normal to me. Confused once again, I told her I wanted to talk to the doctor to see if I was just borderline affected or did I really have a problem due to the tumor. I waited an entire week to hear from him. I called again, knowing he was back in the country. His assistant told me again he'd call me to discuss my results before the weekend. And again he did not call. At this point I called my cardiologist and explained to her assistant what I had been through. Her assistant is one of those people you want on your side, she is take-charge and is fiercely loyal to the Doctor's patients. She marched down the hall to get some answers and came back on the phone saying he would call me immediately. He finally called and said the levels were low-ish and more testing would be required. He never once apologized for keeping me waiting for two weeks. All that and he charged me $437.00 for one visit. I never went back to him, I called my cardiologist and told her she should NOT recommend him. She actually agreed with me. A small victory for the battered and abused patients of America.

Oh and by the way, he never gave me his cell number. That might have helped.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to be suggested this website by my cousin. I'm not certain whether
or not this put up is written through him as
no one else recognize such unique approximately my trouble.
You are wonderful! Thank you!

Caroline said...

My life has been a nightmare and pure hell for over 15 years of Hypertensive Emergencies, TIA's, low potassium, Myocardial Infarctions, too much to say here. Those same doctors have ignored everything. I just discovered your blog today. Thanks for giving me hope. I do have an Adrenal Tumor but my Endocrinologist didn't run the correct tests. Thank you SO much. I'm going to go through your entire blog now. Caroline