Thursday 20 November 2008

The Second Endocrinologist

Late May 2008.

New hospital, new endocrinologist, maybe a fresh start? Next visit with Endo #2 went somewhat better in the beginning. He was very quiet and soft-spoken but again, he made no eye contact like endo #1 (I swear I'm trying not to take this personally). Since I hadn't been formally diagnosed yet, I was still confused as hell- all I knew is I had an adrenal tumor and lots of weird symptoms. What made me uneasy was that he kept looking up information on the internet (Google) as opposed to being well-versed on adrenal tumors with my symptoms. This made me worry a bit. What if I had something really rare?

Turned out, I did. During the visit, he mentioned terms like Conn's syndrome, Cushings disease and hyperaldosteronism, but that was all. He didn't give me much of an explanation of them. I wasn't sure what they were, actually I had never heard of them. I barely knew my endocrine system, which embarrassed me a bit. But unless you study medicine, why would you? I suppose it's a bit like war. Go to war, learn your geography...get an adrenal tumor, learn your endocrine system.

This is what we knew so far:
1) I have low potassium levels in my blood
2) I have an adrenal tumor on my right gland
3) I have high blood pressure
4) That's about it... although I had a slew of other symptoms at that time he didn't seemed too concerned about.

My other symptoms included:
1) Dehydration, especially at night
2) Polyuria- I pee like, well a racing horse, at least 10 times a day, 4-5 a night-no lie.
3) The fiercest migraines, they started about 2 years ago
4) Heart arrythmia at night thus making sleep almost impossible
5) Chronic fatigue
6) Tingling in hands and feet
7) Depression, which may be due to the above

By the end of the appointment, he told me I had to have a lot more blood work, but no more spironolactone for at least 6 weeks, at which point I was to take a saline suppression test. So what about my high blood pressure, what about a diuretic? None, he said, but I had to take potassium supplements 3 times a day. I already was having a horrible time retaining fluid. This was starting to really suck. One thing he was stern about was that each test HAD to be done in order, it was a process and it can take a long time. What he forgot to tell me was how bad I'd still feel throughout the testing period. Major depression was right around the corner, I could feel it.

The following weeks, I did the blood work as he ordered, but within 3 weeks, I had sunk so low and my energy was completely zapped. My migraines were back and I didn't know what to do other than call him and tell him what was going on and how bad I felt. When I called him it got very strange-- he yelled at me and said I had to follow the order of these tests, there was NOTHING more he could do. But that wasn't the worst part, he then told me, "Well... at least you don't have cancer, this we know." And then there was the longest silence I have ever experienced with a health care professional-- it seemed like 2 minutes passed without him saying a word. I knew something was very off about the experience and I got off the phone quickly. I thought his phone behavior was really rude and especially odd, he was such a soft spoken man in his office. He really freaked me out with his loss of composure. Later that day, I found out through a friend who works at the same hospital that Endo #2's wife was just diagnosed with breast cancer. Evidently he had taken his pain out through losing his temper on others as well, including staff and patients, I assume, which is never a good sign. So, I'll pray for his wife while I go look for Endo #3.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing your experiences in detail. Get more knowledge on adrenal fatigue cure that provides you better diagnosis.