Saturday 22 November 2008

The Third and Final Endocrinologist

Out of frustration, with no where else to turn, I called Dr. Armando Sardi at Mercy Medical Center to ask for advice. I told him I had been diagnosed with an adrenal tumor and Conn's was highly suspected. He talked to me for at least 25 minutes, telling me he was very familiar with the condition, as well he had surgically removed quite a few adrenal glands/tumors in his career. Finally, I thought, someone who really knows this disease. I asked for endo recommendations and he pointed me in the direction of Dr. Pamela Quinlan at St Agnes Hospital. I called her office, made and appointment and she became my final endocrinologist. The lady knows her adrenal diseases and then some.

She spoke to me like an adult and didn't hold back on the technical jargon, which suited me fine. When I first was diagnosed, I promised myself I would learn as much about this disease as possible. Through Dr. Quinlan, I have learned more than I ever realized was possible-- some things I have a hard time articulating in this blog-- but at least I understand the bottom line. I often left her office with my head spinning but still felt she was on my team. And if I had to choose too much vs. too little when it comes to my health, I'll lean towards the hefty portion of things.

She explained the hormonal breakdown in the adrenal, and told me it was important to rule out other adrenal diseases such as Cushings. Thankfully, after all the tests I took, that disease was eliminated from suspicion. I'm just a Conn's girl.

Throughout it all I have asked her a lot of detailed questions, and she has always taken the time to sit down and answer all of them. If you have found an endo like this, take advantage of her time and research background. It will give you options you may not have thought about. Even if what she tells you scares you, you at least will know where you stand, and can be a gift when you are battling such an unfair disease that takes so much away, both body and mind.

If you live in the Baltimore/DC area:

Dr. Pamela Quinlan, D.O.
3421 Benson Ave.
Suite 210
Baltimore, MD 21227
410.368.1370
drquinlan@verizon.net

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you know anything about the other doctor's in her office? I have a nodule on my right thyroid and I am having a biopsy with Dr. Muhammed on Thursday. Dr. Quinlan is going on maternity leave so she isn't accepting new patients. Thanks!

Flower Spy said...

I just read this...sorry to be getting back to you at end of month. Dr. Muhammed was highly recommended to me by Dr. Sardi at Mercy-more so than Dr. Quinlan...you should be in good hands. Dr. Q is good but has no real bed-side manner, didn't do well with the fear/anxiety factor with Conn's. Good luck!