Monday 10 November 2008

Typical Symptoms of hyperaldosteronism or Conn's

These are my personal symptoms. While they can vary, many of my fellow Conn's sufferers have complained of these.

1) Fog: I'm in a constant state of fog. That's the best way I can describe my current state of being. It's been like this for a long time now...can't really remember when it started. I feel like I'm just going through the motions but am not really there. Like I'm stoned or something. I also forget stuff a lot which can range from the really stupid to the important.

2) Exhaustion: I never seem to have enough energy I am chronically exhausted. If I don't take a nap I am utterly useless. When I wake up I don't want to get out of bed, even in the morning. All I want to do is sleep. But I could sleep forever it seems and still be tired.

3) Fatigue: It's endless and debilitating. It relates to the above.

4) Rapid Heart Beat: Heart palpitations at night especially, will make you think you are having a heart attack sometimes. I feel this mostly at when I am lying down trying to fall asleep.

5) High Blood Pressure: Was oddly diagnosed with this 6 years ago and have been suspicious as to why at my age (I was considered young for it).

6) Weight gain/Bloatedness: While I'm in my forties, weight gain is to be expected. I didn't gain a lot, but the problem I'm finding is the bloatedness that I can never seem to get rid of. I find it in my hands, ankles and face.

7) The Salt/Sugar: This connection is undeniable. Both are craved, but the sodium does damage, you will puff when you eat anything salty. As well, the next day you will feel awful after eating these foods.

8) Migraines: I been having migraines now for 3 years. Never had them like this before. The first really bad bout that I can remember was in the Canary Islands in June of '06. I thought maybe the island's altitude fluctuations may be the culprit, I had clusters of them for a week. But when I came home, I still got them off and on for long periods of time. It's been years now.

9) Dehydration: I am always dehydrated. I drink water constantly and I'm still thirsty after wards.

10) Frequent Urination: Maybe due to the above, I get up to pee at night at least 4 times. I've told doctors this and I know they think I am exaggerating, but I am not. It has been this way for at least 4 years. I was told to stop drinking water a few hours before I go to bed, but this hasn't helped. I continue to do so.

10) Nerves Shot/Defensive: I have felt like this for a long while. It's like I fear an attack is coming and I can't win-- it's the worst. I used to think it was from lack of sleep, maybe due to getting up so often at night, but now I think it makes sense; the adrenals are your fight/flight responders, and mine are shot.

These symptoms were given to both my endocrinologist and surgeon in June-July. I was told by each that they are most likely directly related to the hormones in my adrenal. When your electrolytes are off, you are off.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

To International Flower Spy -
You have described me to a T! I haven't definitively been diagnosed yet, but it is suspected. Do you also have acne and abdominal fat? Those seem like the only two things I have problems with that you didn't mention.
Thanks,
Debi

Flower Spy said...

MD Historical-

No acne, no excessive abdominal fat, however I did retain water and it settled around places like abdomin, face and hands/feet. This is a disease where sodium stays with you as opposed to getting flushed out. If you live in MD, you should call the Dr's. I mentioned- they are GOOD!

Unknown said...

Flowerspy,

You have described many of my symptoms as well. I have a few others such as kidney issues (stones/calcification and recurring bladder/kidney infections) and severe right flank (which is my affected adrenal).
I am on the yahoo group, and I think you even responded to one of my posts. I have had the AVS, and am no waiting for a surgery date, that is if my insurance and the hospital can finally get it together.
Thank you so much for your blog, its one of the first places I found some truly great info on this disease, and it referred me to both Nord and Dr. Grim's Yahoo Group. I'm with you that we need to get the word out about this horrible condition, anything I can do to help get the word out, I'm there!

Flower Spy said...

Jen, I just read this comment, so glad this site helped you. I hope your surgery date has been set. Let us know how you are doing, please~!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I had all of the symptoms you listed plus a few other ones:

1) Constantly dropping things.

2) Difficulty saying what I was trying to say. Transposing of words and numbers. My family had a few good laughs about this.

3) Tripping

4) Dizziness

5) Crying. I dropped an egg once and had a meltdown.

6) Muscles would ache. Felt the need to constantly stretch.

These are a few that come to mind.

KP

Anonymous said...

Heya i'm for the first time here. I came across this board and I to find It really useful & it helped me out a lot.
I hope to provide something back and aid others like you helped me.

Anonymous said...

I really like your writing style, wonderful info, thanks for posting :D.

Coty said...

I was just DX. With A begin tumor on my adrenal gland and this describes me to a T. We are still doing tests but we will be getting it removed very soon

Anonymous said...

I just got dx'd with a mass on my right adrenal gland everything you mentioned i have. My doctors don't seem to care or want to help, well at least not my primary care physician. I was hoping that after they took out the mass I would go back to normal. But it seems like I wont. Has anyone found anything that makes them feel normal again. I feel anxious, not myself, a lot of crying, short tempered, i used to be very patient now i have no patience. Please help

Flower Spy said...

Cheryl,

Thanks for reaching out. This disease is so frustrating, I know exactly what you are feeling. What you really need is an endocrinologist, a GP is limited in the area and typically doesn't have expertise here. Once you get a good endo, he/she will tell you the steps you must take to confirm the amount of aldosterone that is being secreted into your system and give you options. They will give you the proper medication: potassium sparing diuretic, high blood pressure meds, and others for issues with depression or migraines and such. Your emotions are running high because your body is out of balance, it is not your fault, and very common. I was a mess when I had Conn's. Please feel free to let us know how you are coming, you may also contact me on my email: clangrall@gmail.com and ask me questions. Take care of yourself Cheryl~ CAL

Anonymous said...

I was just searching for this info for some time.
After six hours of continuous Googleing, at last
I got it in your site. I wonder what is the lack of Google strategy that do
not rank this type of informative web sites in top of the list.
Usually the top web sites are full of garbage.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much with regard to giving me personally an update on this subject on your
website. Please know that if a brand-new post becomes available or in case any
alterations occur to the current posting, I would be thinking about reading a lot more and learning how
to make good using of those tactics you talk about.
Thanks for your time and consideration of others by making this website available.

Anonymous said...

Cal sorry that i am responding back so late life happened i got your e email address and will be emailing you shortly thank you so very much for your time,it means allot to me. Talkto you soon